Skip to main content

7 Deadly Sins and Facebook popularity


My last blog question was, “What makes people popular (in facebook)”. I was busy as a dung beetle to post anything about it. Blaming again my father, mother, mother-in-law and my wife for not being rich people, here I am squeezing some time on it.

Remember the “7 deadly sins”? If not, let me be the badass to whisk them up - Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Wrath, Sloth, Envy and Pride. Now, I think the 7 deadly sins is a fantastic framework that explains one’s popularity. Believe me, thousands of years of research has gone into this.

Let’s take ‘lust’ for example. Everybody loves seeing naked bottoms? We invented fire to see them even in the darkness. We invented printing press to enjoy seeing their images too. Motion pictures to see them in action. And, not to forget - The Internet. What is the internet full of? Okay, that’s stretching it too far. But lust plays an important role in making one popular. I am seeing my circle of friends in facebook. The sexier ones are almost always popular (Yatin, Kay, Roslinda, Babul… )

What about envy? We envy the rich (Bill Gates). We envy the crazy (Britney Spears). We envy the talented (Susan Boyle). Zimbly, if you can make people jealous, you become popular. Sloth? We are generally sloths. We want our bananas pealed, put into our mouths and our jaws moved too. In this knowledge era, if you can bring vital news/information/insights to people’s easy attention, you gain instant popularity.

And its very easy to see the rest of them in action too. Gluttony – Pamela, the cooking Ninja, gets 5 comments even on the deflated cake she bakes. Btw, there are also “7 holy virtues” of which I don’t give a shit. Generally, one needs to be bribed and threatened to follow the holy virtues. But the deadly sins, they flow glibly longer, deeper and faster. Now, the objective here is not to be a sinner. But popularity seems to seek one who knows how to leverage on these fundamental forces.

Opinions?

Comments

  1. Raja,

    People who spend 5 hours on facebook everyday are better connected. It has nothing to do with sexiness!!! 90% of the people on my FB do not know me in person nor have ever met me. It is how much time I spend in front of the puter. At the moment 80% time is spent connected to internet and 10% clicking pics and 10% sleeping. Either I am clickin keys on keybord or fotos...

    I wish I had a better schedule than this :) Happy Clickin' :P

    Cheers
    Babul

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Stunts for Attention

Some little distraction here before we get on with rebooting the universe. I heard some comments about the writing style of that post (Reboot the Universe - part 1) from various channels. The notable one came from Dhaks, universally recognized as Maams. He said, “hmm...u were alright when I met you last... ”. The genius-unexplored Henry was seconding Maams that “its the usual (weird?) Raja” . Hahhaha. Well, my sanity seems to have left with you Maams. Hereafter, please don’t leave me and go! (Nah, this is not a marriage proposal by any means :P). But honestly, I had my serious doubts about how that style would be received. Actually, I don’t have any fixed style of writing. Nor themes or subject matters. I deliberately keep it that way. In acting, there is such a thing called ‘method acting’. I gathered that its where the characters prevailing above and over the identity or the mannerisms of the actor himself. Daniel Day Lewis! Check him out in IMDB and compare (his real looks with)

Reboot the Universe - Final

It started here Little Trisha has 2 things that I like in her. One - she loves reading. Just that her books have rats as the heroes. Duh!! I have been asking her to grow up. Second - she is random. Radiantly random. This was the recent random thing we did together. That day, she influenced me to a soya milk from the Jolly-Bean’s. Now, soya milk can be boring as sewage. So to give it a bang, they add these ‘chewy pearls’ to it. For the uninitiated, chewy pearls are tiny sweet balls, made using tapioca and dropped lovingly into your drink. If you ever crave to nibble and bite into a soft human body part, you shall try the chewy pearls. So we walked out, bought our cups and started drinking. Baby : Jokes time, Daddy! Daddy : Okay…. Where would a bored cow go? Baby : Where? Daddy : Moooooovie, of course! Ouch!! She giggled at that and got chocked with a chewy pearl. And in a short struggle, she managed to shoot it out of her throat onto the floor. First we thought of cleaning it up. But t

The Great Indian Divide - 2

What happens if a frog and a rat are tied to the 2 ends of a rope? One pulls towards the lake and other pulls towards the land. This is Hegelian Dialectics. Everything is made out of opposing forces (the terms are “thesis” and “anti-thesis” ). And eventually, they result in a state of equilibrium, (called “synthesis” ). Now, the road it takes to reach the “synthesis” state varies from simple sighs to heads rolling under the guillotines. Imagine you have a wall to paint. You want it white and your wife insists black. Lets say you give in to her with a sigh (here, your synthesis is ‘its good to be happy than to be right’ ). Now, what if this pattern repeats a 100 times? That’s when you start a revolution. Because you have been oppressed. Hehe, at 2AM, I can’t think of a better analogy. Anyways! The French revolution was started by the oppressed to abolish Feudalism. Similarly, Capitalism created another social divide. Marx believed that the Hegelian synthesis state is where there is no