Skip to main content

My first Android Application

At last, I have brought this app to some shape. It still has some pending pieces - of which we will talk later. Work and life has suddenly propelled into busyosphere and this activity was given a backseat. I just took it back and dusted it up yesterday.


This application comes from my personal needs to work out using the ‘High Intensity Interval Training’ (HIIT) method. This method worked like magic on me. I have lost close to 2 kilos in a month’s time. When you google it, you might find that it’s a rhythmic cardio exercise which involves a repetition of an impact phase (a run or cycling at break neck speed) and a cool down phase (a slower walk) with a certain ratio. I am not still very clear of the biological explanation for its effectiveness (it burns fat 8 times more than the usual cardio forms) but I myself am an empirical proof.


The only problem was that I am an outdoor jogger. Without any tools, I was counting the timing in my mind first and later started using landmarks to control the run-rest cycle. That’s when I thought about writing a phone application that helps. I don’t have a mac (yet), so cant develop it for the iPhones. So, started of with the Android platform.


The Android framework reminded me of my Visual Studio and Visual Basic days (Ramku, take note!). It’s a similar event driven programming world but the user-interface framework has a long way to go. It took me sometime to get hold of the layouts offered. Even the eclipse tooling has a long way to go. It doesn’t allow me to be as productive as I can be. What I loved was the Java platform – my comfort zone.


So here it is. Key in the impact time (how long would you want to run) and the repeat count. The tool calculates the run-rest cycle. There is a visual cue (in the progress bars) and there is also vibration to set you on the mark and off. The bottom section is the log of your past runs. Currently it will only store 5 latest sessions.


Known issues and the next release features:

  1. The tool is set for intermediate level. That means, it works on the 2/3 ration for run to rest. Will let the user choose the levels later (beginner, intermediate and advanced).
  2. The Pause button doesn’t work yet. (The Stop button works though).
  3. Will integrate with Facebook to publish your statistics as you complete the run.
  4. User Interface improvements.

I still don't have an android phone (I am on BlackBerry). So you might help me to test this. You can find the unsigned application here. You will also find the source codes there. I have no qualms in sharing. After all, everything was developed using open sources. Finally, I dedicate this to my friend Sandhya, who initiated me first into HIIT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stunts for Attention

Some little distraction here before we get on with rebooting the universe. I heard some comments about the writing style of that post (Reboot the Universe - part 1) from various channels. The notable one came from Dhaks, universally recognized as Maams. He said, “hmm...u were alright when I met you last... ”. The genius-unexplored Henry was seconding Maams that “its the usual (weird?) Raja” . Hahhaha. Well, my sanity seems to have left with you Maams. Hereafter, please don’t leave me and go! (Nah, this is not a marriage proposal by any means :P). But honestly, I had my serious doubts about how that style would be received. Actually, I don’t have any fixed style of writing. Nor themes or subject matters. I deliberately keep it that way. In acting, there is such a thing called ‘method acting’. I gathered that its where the characters prevailing above and over the identity or the mannerisms of the actor himself. Daniel Day Lewis! Check him out in IMDB and compare (his real looks with)

Reboot the Universe - Final

It started here Little Trisha has 2 things that I like in her. One - she loves reading. Just that her books have rats as the heroes. Duh!! I have been asking her to grow up. Second - she is random. Radiantly random. This was the recent random thing we did together. That day, she influenced me to a soya milk from the Jolly-Bean’s. Now, soya milk can be boring as sewage. So to give it a bang, they add these ‘chewy pearls’ to it. For the uninitiated, chewy pearls are tiny sweet balls, made using tapioca and dropped lovingly into your drink. If you ever crave to nibble and bite into a soft human body part, you shall try the chewy pearls. So we walked out, bought our cups and started drinking. Baby : Jokes time, Daddy! Daddy : Okay…. Where would a bored cow go? Baby : Where? Daddy : Moooooovie, of course! Ouch!! She giggled at that and got chocked with a chewy pearl. And in a short struggle, she managed to shoot it out of her throat onto the floor. First we thought of cleaning it up. But t

Gangs of New York

“On my challenge, by the ancient laws of combat, we have met at this chosen ground, to settle for good and all, who holds the sway over the Five Points!” Its the Dead Rabbits gang against the natives. As Bill roars, wielding his butcher’s heavy knife, I would already be there next to him in his gang of natives. With McGloin and Hellcat Maggie to my right. This is Martin Scorsese’s movie – “Gangs of New York" New York in the 1800s, was not a city but rather a furnace where a city someday might be forged. It was absolute mayhem and chaos everywhere. Everyone is fighting against every one else - immigrants with the natives, corrupt politicians with themselves, people against a pervasive poverty, 2 opposing police departments, hordes of looting fire brigades, cholera and a catastrophic civil war. “The Five Points” – a slum at the cross junction of 5 streets (Mulberry, worth, cross, orange and little water) is the axis of all the evil. The root of all the rival gangs - Dead R