Skip to main content

Toast Masters P2 Script : The 4th Biggest Bluff of the World

This is the script of my second speech in Toast Masters. It was voted as the best prepared speech. A second consecutive win. Now, I am feeling a strange itch to continue this streak :)

----------------------------

One of the biggest problems I face these days is that I am getting older. There are blindingly obvious signs of it everywhere. I am balding on the top, greying on the sides. My metabolism is dropping that even water makes me put on weight. I get tired of carrying my own weight. And annoyingly, I have a lot of things to say, these days. I talk in great lengths and  half way through, I forget the original point itself. [Pause] Sorry, why I am I saying all these to you? Oh, the old age. Yea!

Now, when I complain to people that I am getting older, they always have one thing to say. “Well,  you can't do anything about it but just grow old gracefully”.

I get so annoyed at that statement. Just what in the world is growing old gracefully? Can you really be graceful when you are old?

Fellow Toastmasters, this is what I want to analyse today. But to proceed, we need to nail what grace is. Grace has 2 parts to it. One is physical – imagine Miss Universe doing a ramp walk or the royal ladies waving their hands at you. There is so much grace in it. Men, don’t be offended. You do have grace - like when Super Man launches himself into the air and flies. Wow, so effortless and graceful even though he is wearing his underwear outside. The epitome of physical grace is a swan, in my opinion. Its graceful in all angles – when it swims or drinks water or even when it turns its head to look at you. There is total grace in it. Its not partial - like some women I have known. They would be sitting very gracefully and when they open their mouth, they go, “hey, how ya doing today” [in a sand paper voice].

The second part of grace is mental, which is exhibited mostly by outward behavior or gestures. It comes out of a very healthy ego, an elaborate wisdom and an infinite spiritual love for the universe. Like that of Buddha or Jesus. There are stories of people spitting on Buddha. Yet he takes that in his stride, loves in return and shows them the path.

Having defined grace, lets take get back to growing old gracefully.

It starts right from middle age onwards. Do you know what is “middle age”?

Its when your age starts to show up in the middle.

Now, how many of you think you look very graceful with your middle part like that? Imagine Miss Universe walking clumsily with her huge middle part and flabs, in a bikini. Compare that with a swan.  Super Man in his twilight years, big and shapeless, struggling to pull his weight to go up in the air?

The point is, the physical grace is gone just when you cross into the middle age itself.

Do I even have to talk about old age?

Old age is when you start to loose things one by one. You also start to become loose [shake the body parts]. My neighbor has a grand old man living with them. His scrotum would often get tangled with the legs of the chair and he has to untangle himself first before getting up. What grace are you talking about here?

There was this morning when that grandpa complained to the family that the toilet is extremely cold. And my neighbor shortly discovered that the old man has actually peed into the refrigerator. Oh, grace our food with  your presence – Grandfather.

Behavioral Grace!

My own grandfather was a hilarious man. He met this beautiful woman in a pub and they hit it off. Well, the woman was 82 years old. Later he went down on his knees and asked if she would marry him.  And she said YES. So he came home happily, grinning from ear to ear. The next morning when he woke up, he totally forgot if she said yes or no. After so much tension and deliberation, he decided to call her. And she went like, “Thank God you called back. I know I said yes to someone but can't remember who”.

Lets put things in perspective. Growing old could be a lot of fun. But grace? I don’t think so. Not even an ounce of it. We may wish to age like wine. But unfortunately, we only age like milk. Sad, but that is the reality. Wake up to it and STOP the bluf !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stunts for Attention

Some little distraction here before we get on with rebooting the universe. I heard some comments about the writing style of that post (Reboot the Universe - part 1) from various channels. The notable one came from Dhaks, universally recognized as Maams. He said, “hmm...u were alright when I met you last... ”. The genius-unexplored Henry was seconding Maams that “its the usual (weird?) Raja” . Hahhaha. Well, my sanity seems to have left with you Maams. Hereafter, please don’t leave me and go! (Nah, this is not a marriage proposal by any means :P). But honestly, I had my serious doubts about how that style would be received. Actually, I don’t have any fixed style of writing. Nor themes or subject matters. I deliberately keep it that way. In acting, there is such a thing called ‘method acting’. I gathered that its where the characters prevailing above and over the identity or the mannerisms of the actor himself. Daniel Day Lewis! Check him out in IMDB and compare (his real looks with)

Reboot the Universe - Final

It started here Little Trisha has 2 things that I like in her. One - she loves reading. Just that her books have rats as the heroes. Duh!! I have been asking her to grow up. Second - she is random. Radiantly random. This was the recent random thing we did together. That day, she influenced me to a soya milk from the Jolly-Bean’s. Now, soya milk can be boring as sewage. So to give it a bang, they add these ‘chewy pearls’ to it. For the uninitiated, chewy pearls are tiny sweet balls, made using tapioca and dropped lovingly into your drink. If you ever crave to nibble and bite into a soft human body part, you shall try the chewy pearls. So we walked out, bought our cups and started drinking. Baby : Jokes time, Daddy! Daddy : Okay…. Where would a bored cow go? Baby : Where? Daddy : Moooooovie, of course! Ouch!! She giggled at that and got chocked with a chewy pearl. And in a short struggle, she managed to shoot it out of her throat onto the floor. First we thought of cleaning it up. But t

Gangs of New York

“On my challenge, by the ancient laws of combat, we have met at this chosen ground, to settle for good and all, who holds the sway over the Five Points!” Its the Dead Rabbits gang against the natives. As Bill roars, wielding his butcher’s heavy knife, I would already be there next to him in his gang of natives. With McGloin and Hellcat Maggie to my right. This is Martin Scorsese’s movie – “Gangs of New York" New York in the 1800s, was not a city but rather a furnace where a city someday might be forged. It was absolute mayhem and chaos everywhere. Everyone is fighting against every one else - immigrants with the natives, corrupt politicians with themselves, people against a pervasive poverty, 2 opposing police departments, hordes of looting fire brigades, cholera and a catastrophic civil war. “The Five Points” – a slum at the cross junction of 5 streets (Mulberry, worth, cross, orange and little water) is the axis of all the evil. The root of all the rival gangs - Dead R