Skip to main content

Toast Masters P4 Script - A Dummy's guide to multitasking


A few days back, I decided to cook for my family. (I use this placating measure at times to cool down my angry wife). As a new age techie, whenever I cook, I use my phone to show me the recipe. And it was the election times those days. I did not want to miss the important updates also. So I had the TV blasting from the hall so that I can hear the news.

Here I am - phone on one hand, a bunch of vegetables on the other hand, ears listening to the news, on top of a brewing curry. As the moment came,  I dropped my phone into the curry instead of the vegetables.  Ooops! It took me a few seconds to realize what I have done . And at the end, like a macho man, I cried for help from my wife.

She ran to the kitchen thinking that something life threatening has happened. As she saw me garnished the curry with my blackberry, she started screaming.  (By the way, blending in phones makes the curry taste poor). “Just what are you doing in the kitchen with your phone and the TV so loud?”. I humbly mumbled, “well, I am only multitasking...” She said, “You MEN!  All your multitasking is about screwing up everything all at the same time!”.

What can I say? Men are from mars. Its in our genes not to multitask.  We were hunters for a million years. When you are hiding to hunt a pig, you can't be playing  angry birds in parallel. It’s a very critical job and you have to be singly focused on the environment. Otherwise, you will soon have a lion chewing on your back. Thousands of generations of such a practice has taken the multitasking ability off the men's brain.

Women, my wife in particular, is a good multitasker. She does a lot of things in parallel in a day. Small small things, you know –selling the home when the market is good, getting the right school for the kid, every day family health, retirement planning etc… I on the other hand, worry about big and critical things -one at a time. Like saving Greece from the economic crisis or when should America leave Afghanistan. This also explains why I remain celibate for most of my married life. If you don’t get it my friends, ONLY chroeplay leads to foreplay.

Finally, I realised that the modern man must be capable of multitasking. So I devised my own guide. Since I am a dummy, I call it the guide by a dummy to multitasking. With an altruistic intention I am willing to share it with you all.

Multitasking is  - when you have a list of tasks to do and you have limited time, then how you shall distribute your tasks! For example, you have half an hour and you have to heat some food in the microwave, attend to your baby and also talk to your boss on the phone. How would you handle this ?

Don’t panic. Its very simple, gentlemen.

There are 2 types of multitasking. Preemptive and Non-preemptive multitasking. In preemptive multitasking you split your time into equal slices. In one time slice you do one particular job. Once the time slice is up, you move on to the next job. And you keep going at it in a round robin way.  

For the example we described just now, you split your 30 minutes into slices of 2 minutes each. First 2 minutes you are with the microwave, next 2 minutes you are with the baby and then you go and check if your boss has called. The cycle repeats.

That is preemptive multitasking.

In the non preemptive multitasking, you don’t do time slicing any more. You start with the microwave and go until you finish the task. The time limit does not matter. Until you hear your baby crying! That is a an interrupt. Then you hold your microwave job and move onto your baby. So there is a sense of priority that you follow. You don’t move to the next job just because your time slice is up. But you are ready to jump on if the high priority task calls you. (Boy, I know its tough!)

What would you do if all your jobs call you at the same time? Microwave calls you, the baby cries and the boss also calls. My priority would be to run to the microwave. To hell with babies and bosses.

Finally, there is no one size fits all. Some tasks can be solved with preemptive multitasking and for some you need non-preemptive multitasking. Its for you to choose.

I hope you found this Dummy’s guide useful. Thank you !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stunts for Attention

Some little distraction here before we get on with rebooting the universe. I heard some comments about the writing style of that post (Reboot the Universe - part 1) from various channels. The notable one came from Dhaks, universally recognized as Maams. He said, “hmm...u were alright when I met you last... ”. The genius-unexplored Henry was seconding Maams that “its the usual (weird?) Raja” . Hahhaha. Well, my sanity seems to have left with you Maams. Hereafter, please don’t leave me and go! (Nah, this is not a marriage proposal by any means :P). But honestly, I had my serious doubts about how that style would be received. Actually, I don’t have any fixed style of writing. Nor themes or subject matters. I deliberately keep it that way. In acting, there is such a thing called ‘method acting’. I gathered that its where the characters prevailing above and over the identity or the mannerisms of the actor himself. Daniel Day Lewis! Check him out in IMDB and compare (his real looks with)

Reboot the Universe - Final

It started here Little Trisha has 2 things that I like in her. One - she loves reading. Just that her books have rats as the heroes. Duh!! I have been asking her to grow up. Second - she is random. Radiantly random. This was the recent random thing we did together. That day, she influenced me to a soya milk from the Jolly-Bean’s. Now, soya milk can be boring as sewage. So to give it a bang, they add these ‘chewy pearls’ to it. For the uninitiated, chewy pearls are tiny sweet balls, made using tapioca and dropped lovingly into your drink. If you ever crave to nibble and bite into a soft human body part, you shall try the chewy pearls. So we walked out, bought our cups and started drinking. Baby : Jokes time, Daddy! Daddy : Okay…. Where would a bored cow go? Baby : Where? Daddy : Moooooovie, of course! Ouch!! She giggled at that and got chocked with a chewy pearl. And in a short struggle, she managed to shoot it out of her throat onto the floor. First we thought of cleaning it up. But t

Gangs of New York

“On my challenge, by the ancient laws of combat, we have met at this chosen ground, to settle for good and all, who holds the sway over the Five Points!” Its the Dead Rabbits gang against the natives. As Bill roars, wielding his butcher’s heavy knife, I would already be there next to him in his gang of natives. With McGloin and Hellcat Maggie to my right. This is Martin Scorsese’s movie – “Gangs of New York" New York in the 1800s, was not a city but rather a furnace where a city someday might be forged. It was absolute mayhem and chaos everywhere. Everyone is fighting against every one else - immigrants with the natives, corrupt politicians with themselves, people against a pervasive poverty, 2 opposing police departments, hordes of looting fire brigades, cholera and a catastrophic civil war. “The Five Points” – a slum at the cross junction of 5 streets (Mulberry, worth, cross, orange and little water) is the axis of all the evil. The root of all the rival gangs - Dead R